Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, June 16, 2006

Okay so yes. I did post a bunch of funnies that were emailed to me. That’s just fine to do in my book because they made me laugh and that’s a good thing to share amongst friends.

But now, I have something to tell you about ME. Yes, me.

Last Sunday, I decided to defrost the 21 lb. turkey from the freezer because I needed the room. I set it in the fridge and figured I had a couple days to go before I could make it.

By Tuesday, I had forgotten about it.

Thursday, my eye caught a glimpse of it on the bottom shelf. I gasped, and then I did what every does to see if it was thawed.

I poked it.

It felt like a soft, out of shape fat child and judged it must have been completely thawed around Wednesday sometime.

I really don’t know how long birds can be thawed out before going bad, and the last thing I wanted was to have to throw this yummy portly corpse out - because among other things, I don't like to think that anything, even a turkey, would die in vain - so I found myself with no alternative but to cook it. That night.

Yes. If I had been more organized or less forgetful, I would have marinated that beast Wednesday and put it in the oven Thursday BEFORE I went to class at 6:30pm...

And perhaps, I might have even skipped class so I could take care of this mess.

But I didn’t. And I'm not, so I went, and I did.

I went to class, swung my sword around for an hour, left at 7:30 and then headed out for a quick store run for a turkey bag, which is essential on nights like this one.

I ended up checking out with a turkey bag, a can of gravy, two super monstrous artichokes, some fresh "poultry" herbs, a can of creamed corn (ewwww blah – Earl’s) and a little thing of sour cream.

Then right before I exited the store, I realized I needed buttermilk because I suddenly didn’t think that I wanted "baked" potatoes with my turkey even though they were easier, but everyone knows you have to eat mashed potatoes with turkey because of the whole gravy thing.

So back around I went and grabbed the buttermilk, which I was surprised that I didn’t buy in the first place because I remember heading towards it after buying the sour cream but was distracted by something, most likely Ho-Ho's (cause they be right there) and never got to the milk section. But anywho, I had the buttermilk now and stupid me didn’t even realize it was only $.82 and used my check card to pay for it...

So off I went with my turkey making groceries, when suddenly I noticed it was now 8:23pm.

How the hell do you spend almost an hour buying less than 15 items? I don't rightfully know.

I get home, wash my hands, and start prepping the bird.

Poultry is about the only thing I can cook, for real. I can even experiment with new ideas because I am comfortable with it. Earl leaves turkeys and chickens in my hands, while he does absolutely everything else that one would eat. I was so thankful when he offered to do the mashed potatoes because mine always turn out like potato pudding. Go figure.

I washed the bird and then attempted to squeeze my hand down his, er, thorax or whatever that is, to grab the gizzards –

I TRIED to get my hand in there. For a big ass bird, he had the smallest of cavities. I had use my left hand - because it is smaller - and still had to take my rings off. I thought I might have to dislocate my thumb to get in there, but eventually I got the junk and pulled it. Then I stuffed the herbs and some butter patties under his skin and gave it a turkey massage really good. Finally, I put his ass in the bag and tossed him in the oven…

…At 9:10pm.

Earl was already done with the potatoes and I had the artichokes ready on the side. The turkey bag directions predicted the bird would be done in 3 – 3 ½ hours, so we started watching Running Scared, the newest DVD out at Blockbuster.

Little side note: KICK ASS MOVIE PEOPLE. RENT IT RENT IT RENT IT.

Around 12:10am the bird was done –

May I remind you all, this is yesterday - in other words - it was THURSDAY and YES - WE HAD TO WORK THE NEXT DAY.

So incidentally, Earl never made it to 12:10am. He fell asleep and never got to experience the wonderful turkey goodness fresh out of the oven.

Can I just tell you how strange it was to be cooking so late on a school night and then eating a whole Thanksgiving meal after midnight by myself? And yes, there were biscuits.

I did not however make gravy. I am not a good gravy maker - although in my defense, I have never really ever tried - but I am perfectly capable of eating turkey without it.

Earl thinks that sacrilegious.

I guess then, technically, I could have eaten that baked potato... although I must say that Earl's mashies were the best EVER.

But it was ALL just SOOO GOOOOD. Very good. All of it.

I went to bed at 1:40am.

And then I woke up at 4am because my brain started thinking without my permission. Don’t know what it was thinking, but it was.

I slept in until 6am.

I predicted that it would be an early Friday night – But here I sit at 9:15pm blogging about this (9:45 editing it) and am WIDE AWAKE

Guess I’m not as old as I thought I was. I can still party like the best of ‘em. I am looking forward to staying up until AT LEAST… 11pm.

hehe.

5 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I never do anything except a turkey bag anymore.

But I can make gravy.

My son does the mashed potatos. I'd rather eat dirt and left up to me, they'd all come out of a box.

Shame on me but for years I did everything the hard way. I'm on potato strike.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

I LURVE mashies from a box!!! But there is NOTHING like REAL mashies from the tater. And when someone knows how to do em right, well - you might as well just throw the box away.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot believe all that bird didn't knock you OUT! I mean it has chemicals and stuff JUST for that purpose! But it sounds wonderful. Anth does out birds - he uses lemons and oranges and limes inside of them. I do the mashies and they are TO.DIE.FOR! And the stuffing...I do that too and it's pretty tasty too. Now I want some bird. Damn you Amy!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

Yes, you are right. I should not tempt anybody with meat. Potatoes seem to be okay to use, but not meat.

3:59 PM  
Blogger The Rainbow Zebra said...

I am LMAO here!!!

I don't know how your hubby could sleep with those awesome smells!

Though I, too, love creamed corn. And do not like gravy. Well, most of the time.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>