Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, April 16, 2005

It makes it's presence known through subtle means.

Last night Earl and I got home around midnight. As Earl walked into the family room, he found it odd that his tackle box lid was opened. The box was sitting on the floor next to the left side of the couch. He passed by it and moved down to the right side of the couch and sat down. I walked in behind him. I was about to pass by the box when curiosity got the best of him and he asked me,

"Why did you leave my tackle box open? The kitties might get hurt."

I looked down at it as I passed by and said, "I didn't."

I took two steps more. From behind my back I heard a snap like a Tupperware lid being closed. I turned around to see -

The lid was not only shut, it was securely latched.

Any person in any other house would just assume the other had shut the box, but my husband was still sitting in the same spot and he was looking at me.

I got a chill...

My eyeballs fixed themselves on the tackle box and then immediately shifted to Earl. He remained still and could not even see the box from where he was sitting. But he was looking right at me when I asked the inevitable -

"Did you just shut that?"

"No."

Earl stood up and opened the lid back up. He walked by it a couple times to see if it would close on it's own. It did not. He eventually had to jump up and down right next to it before it slowly lowered itself and rested atop it's latch...

Thereeee backkkkkkkk.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Earl catch a large mouth bass in a previous lifetime that has it in for him?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

He caught 5 bass yesterday! He never keeps them, just catches them and throws them back. An occassional trout may end up in our freezer once a year, but with the mercery so high, I'm afraid to eat any thing from water.

I think we may just have a playful entity roaming around. You know, the kind that likes to stack plates in the middle of the floor and turn lights on and off. I kinda of like him/her. Makes the days more interesting.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I think you enjoy living in a haunted house. I can't believe you aren't scared all the time! Do you eventually get used to it?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

I don't think you can get used to the things that happen. Each one is an adventure in itself. But obviously this thing isn't mean, just playful. And honestly, when I'm alone in the house, I don't feel scared at all. Sometimes I feel like something is watching me when I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. And one of my favorite things to do when Earl is out, is watch scary movies in a dark room with candles lit, some yummy popcorn and a couple glasses of wine. I FREAK when I have to go upstairs by myself to use the bathroom because it always feels like something is watching me, but other than that, I fine with it.

3:17 PM  
Blogger KinnicChick said...

Oh come on... playful=scratches on you? I'm a little on the disagreeable side on this one... ;)

4:36 PM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

Oh yeah. Perhaps Keri is right. Well we rented The Exorcist tonight (The Beginning) so perhaps it will make scratches seem like love-tickles.

6:05 PM  
Blogger shane said...

I read this right before I went to the auditorium. Scared the shit out of me cuz that place just feels creepy. Then I told the story and felt like I was being watched. Then my folder fell and I gasped. What an affect your post had on me!

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>