Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, April 18, 2005

IF, while strolling through the woods one day, you saw a really pretty rock sitting in the mud, so pretty you wanted it for your garden, and you decided after kicking it with your foot that it was approximately 35 lbs which deemed it “carriable” because you had beer muscles... Would you pick it up out of the mud and balance it on your shoulder even though it was bigger than your whole head, wobble through the woods with buckled knees and sweat pouring off your brow, stopping only to switch shoulders because your left arm had turned to jello, climb over a guard rail and up a slight incline so you could drop it in the trunk of your car that was waiting for you on the road a mere thousand feet from where the rock had originally been?

I did.

Earl said, “You know it took that rock a million years to travel from the river to that particular spot in the woods.”

To which I responded,

“Yeah, and it would have taken it another million to get to my garden, so I was doing it a favor.”

I still don't know the actual weight of the rock but the longer I carried it, the more it weighed. It was about 80 lbs by the time I reached the car and had slipped down from my shoulder to my belly. Earl kept telling me that the rock weighs the same as a kid would, so I better get used to it. I said no way was any kid of mine ever going to be that heavy, and if he was, he could walk.

But may I say, as sore as my shoulders, back, arms, knees, and heals are today, that rock makes a fine addition to my garden. Now all I need are some plants.

7 Comments:

Blogger KinnicChick said...

Usually when kids get to weighing that much, they sometimes help out by wrapping their arms and legs around you like little monkeys and distribute their weight across your body a little differently than a rock would. :) But still...

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

Perhaps I should strap the rock to my back and get used to it, like Earl said. I could glue some arms and legs and a couple of googly eyes to it and decide if kids are all they're cracked up to be. If I decide I don't want a kid after I have one, can I put it in my garden?

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Rich and I got married and we were trying to say something about not wanting, at our age and stage of life, a bunch of stuff in the form of gifts, we wrote on the invitation that a stone or a shell or a prayer would be plenty. We got BEAUTIFUL stones and shells that are all in my garden! You did right. Go get more. Then, even without plants, you can still have a "rock garden". Humor. Ark, Ark.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

What a great post! I can't wait to see your rock!

(No we're not coming any time soon, but still).

9:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, what Jen said!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend whose husband was transferred from Ohio to Michigan and the company was paying moving expenses. So she did what any gardening/rock crazed person would do; she packed and shipped several of her favorite rocks. Bet the movers loved that.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Sp00kalot said...

Carolyn, I didnt know one could do that... What a great idea! Wish I had thought about that when we moved to Bethlehem. There wasn't a single rock to be had in my yard. Had to go steal some, I did.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>